Factors effecting site selection for ReservoirsSunday, March 18, 2012 8:55
Site selection for Reservoirs:
Following factors must be considered while site selection for Reservoirs.
- Surface topography :
The site should provide a large area for storage of the water. Also, there should be suitable routes available for pipelines.
- Sub-surface geology:
The site must provide :
- Safe foundation for dam structure.
- Water tightness against seepage.
- Availability of local construction material.
- Land for storage :
The land should be cheap and there should be less population.
- Absence of objectionable soluble materials :
There should not be any soluble material present at site which cause change in odour, taste and color of water. As it may be harmful for people.
- Availability of local construction material :
The construction material such as stones, binding material etc. should be locally available. So that the cost of the project may be reduced.