Site selection for Reservoirs:
Following factors must be considered while site selection for Reservoirs.
- Surface topography :
The site should provide a large area for storage of the water. Also, there should be suitable routes available for pipelines.
- Sub-surface geology:
The site must provide :
- Safe foundation for dam structure.
- Water tightness against seepage.
- Availability of local construction material.
- Land for storage :
The land should be cheap and there should be less population.
- Absence of objectionable soluble materials :
There should not be any soluble material present at site which cause change in odour, taste and color of water. As it may be harmful for people.
- Availability of local construction material :
The construction material such as stones, binding material etc. should be locally available. So that the cost of the project may be reduced.
Timothy Fasheun says
Clayey material would also play a vital role for storage