Importance of shear strength of soilSaturday, September 24, 2011 22:42
Importance of shear strength of soil
The knowledge of shear strength is very important some of the uses are provided below:
- In the design of foundations the evaluation of bearing capacity is dependent on the shear strength.
- For the design of embankments for dams, roads, pavements, excavations, levees etc. The analysis of the stability of the slope is done using shear strength.
- In the design of earth retaining structures like retaining walls, sheetpile coffer dams, bulks heads, and other underground structures etc.
The shear strength of a soil mass is essentially made up of:
- Due to the interlocking of the grains the structural resistance of the movement of the soil is very essential.
- An other important component is the frictional resistance between the individual soil grains at their contact point on sliding.
- The resistance due to the forces which hold the particles together or the cohesion.