Definition of Slender and Short ColumnsThursday, April 12, 2012 20:22
Columns in which the strength is governed entirely by the strength of materials and the geometry of the cross-section are called short columns.
- Short columns mainly carry compression loads.
- They are generally used in construction.
- They can carry bending moments as well about one or both axes.
- Column is treated generally as compression member because compression forces dominates.
Columns are said to be slender if its cross-sectional dimensions are small compared with its length.
- The degree of slenderness is generally expressed in terms of slenderness ratio, L/r where L is the unsupported length and “r” is the radius of gyration.