Pressure in water distribution system
Pressure in water distribution system is maintained to
- prevent the entry of undesirable particles.
- make water rise to the given height of the buildings where fittings are located.
Quantity of pressure
140 kpa pressure should be maintained to serve a building of 8 floors.
Lahore development authority and WASA recommendations
- Minimum pressure should be 140 kpa.
- Maximum pressure should be 400 kpa.
Public health engineering department recommendations
- Minimum residual pressure should be 140 kpa.
- For urban residential areas it should be 100 kpa.
- For rural residential areas it should be 80 kpa.
The topography of the city may require pressure zoning. Most of the city may have normal pressure for all purposes. But the area of the city which are low, if they are directly connected, have high pressure. There would be danger of leakage and breakage. This problem may be solved by supplying low area with one or several feeder mains and installing pressure regulating valves. These valves will maintain pressure on the low area when required.
Leave a Reply