The Term precipitation denotes all the form of water that reaches earth through the atmosphere. The term Precipitation includes different forms of water, it can be in the form of snow fall, rainfall, hail, frost and dew.
Requirements of Precipitation:
- For Precipitation to form, the atmosphere must have moisture.
- Sufficient nucleii should be present so that condensation may take place. The nucleii are usually salt particles and are available in plenty.
- Weather conditions must be good so that condensation of water vapor to take place.
- When condensation takes place, the product of condensation reaches the earth, then precipitation will form.
- Precipitation results when small droplets of water come together and coagulate to form larger drops that can drop down to earth.
Engineering Hydrology by k Subramanaya.
Abu Sayed Md Asif Iqbal says
Precipitation is any form of liquid or solid water particles that fall from the atmosphere and reaches the surface of the earth.
For the gulf coast area precipitation includes rain, drizzle, hail, and on rare occasion, snow and sleet.
Precipitation is caused by when a mass of warm, moist, ait hits amass of cold air. Condensation causes the moist to form droplets that became a rain of crystals that become snow or ice. When these droplets or crystals be4come too heavy to be suspended in the atmosphere, they fall to earth as precipitation.