Definition of road median and its purposes | Types of road mediansFriday, April 19, 2013 15:00
Road median is the portion in between the dual carriage way which separates the traffic flow in opposite direction.
Purposes of road medians
They are made for the following purposes:
- To avoid from accidents.
- Place provided for the pedestrians to pass the road.
- To install lighting system.
- To install traffic signs and traffic signals.
- It provides to avoid from glare of lights from the opposite traffic.
- Sometimes in rural areas, we can park on medians in case of emergency.
Types of road medians
They are of the following types:
The medians on which vehicles can move in case of emergency are called as traversible road medians. The recommended width of traversible median By NHA Pakistan is 7m.
The median on which vehicles cannot approach is known as barrier median. It is made up of concrete or steel.
Artificial median which may be removed in case of any emergency is known as detering median. For example to caught thief or any robber, this median may be removed and police can catch the thief easily.
Detering median may be traversible or barrier.