Definition of Side sway | Causes of side sway | How it is preventedSunday, September 2, 2012 11:54
Side sway may be defined as
Any appreciable lateral or side-ward movement of top of a vertical member relative to its bottom is called side sway, sway or lateral drift.
Causes of side sway
It can takes place due to following causes
- Length of different columns in a frame structure is different.
- Sections of columns having different cross sectional properties. For example if moment of inertia of one vertical member is different from the other.
- Due to un-symmetrical loading.
- Lateral loads are acting.
How it is prevented ?
Side sway may be prevented in a frame by:
- Providing shear or partition walls.
- Fixing the top of frame with adjoining rigid structures.
- Provision of properly designed shear walls act as backbone of the structure and reducing the lateral deflections.
- Provision of lateral bracing which may be diagonal bracing or longitudinal bracing.
Reference : Steel structures by Zahid Ahmad siddiqi and Muhammad ashraf