Advantages and disadvantages of Using Allowable stress designFriday, August 10, 2012 15:50
- Advantages of Using Allowable stress design method
Following are some advantages of Allowable stress design method
- Elastic analysis for loads become compatible for design.
- Old famous books are according to this method.
- Experienced engineers are used to this method.
- In past it was the only method for design purposes.
- This method is included in AISC-05 specifications as an alternate method.
- Disadvantages of Using Allowable stress design method
- Latest research and literature is very limited.
- Same factor of safety is used for different loads.
- Failure mode is not directly predicted.
- With some overloading, the material stresses increase but do not go to collapse.
- The failure mode can not be observed.
- The warning before failure cannot be studied precisely.
- Results cannot be compared with experimental tests up to collapse.
Reference : Steel structures by Zahid Ahmad siddiqi and Muhammad ashraf