Definition of Earthen Dams | Characteristics of Earthen DamsTuesday, May 29, 2012 15:35
Earthen Dams or Earth dams are the dams which are built of compacted soil or rock fragments.
Characteristics of Earthen Dams
- They are designed as gravity dams.
- They are much more massive than concrete gravity dams.
- Thus they require larger amount of materials.
- Many earth dams contain more than 5 billion cubic meter of compacted soil.
- They do not need form work which saves money.
- The unit cost of compacted fill is much less as compared to concrete dams, so their total cost is usually less