Definition of Water supply | Order of preference of Water SourceWednesday, December 28, 2011 23:35
Definition of Water supply
A source, means, or process of supplying water to the community in adequate quality and quantity, usually including reservoirs, tunnels and pipelines.
Order of preference of Water Source in water supplies :
The order of preference of water source in water supplies should be as follow :
- Ground water : It requires no treatment, recovered at various places at short distances from the consumer. For example deep and shallow wells.
- Spring water : It requires no treatment, recovered locally.
- Lakes, ponds and stream water : This water requires simple treatment, recovered at some distance and carry to the distribution area through pumping.
- Water from river : This is last preference in the order of preference for water used in supply because it requires extensive treatment and carry to the distribution area through pumping.
Following aspects should be considered for the water which is to be supplied to the community:
- Adequate quality.
- Required quantity.
- Continuous supply.
- Reliable for drinking purposes.
- Financially viable.