Concrete | Properties of Concrete | Classification of ConcreteSunday, August 28, 2011 23:50
Concrete and its properties
It is a mixture of cement, sand, coarse aggregates and water.
- It should have good work-ability.
- It should be free from segregation which is separation of concrete ingredients.
- In concrete there should be no separation of water
- Compressive strength should be greater than 15.5n/mm sq.
- It must be durable
- It should not allow water to pass through it.
- Water cement ratio should be such that to avoid shrinkage
- Creep effect should be minimum
- It should be good fire resistant
It has following types :
The type in which steel bars are not provided is known as plain cement concrete.
The type which is provided with steel bars is known as reinforced cement concrete.
The type which is consisting of lime, fine aggregates and coarse aggregates is known as lime concrete.